Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Living Museum: Sally Ride





At my school we do this thing called The Living Museum. You pick a person in history's name out of a jar. I picked Sally Ride, the youngest American and first American woman ever in space. 

I had to write a speech about Sally Ride and her accomplishments in life.  The speech had to be memorized!  Then me and my partner painted a background that represented our person.  We also had to find or build an artifact that also had to do with your person. We built a rocket for my artifact. We took a poster tube and covered it in duct tape then added U.S.A in big letters with an American flag and the NASA symbol. We painted a view of a rocket and earth and the moon in outer space.

We had to pick a pose and hold it until it was our turn.  I stood on the podium frozen in my pose until it was my turn.  My pose was with the helmet on and then when the tour guide pushed my button, I "came to life" and removed the helmet and said my speech.

I also had to dress like an astronaut.  The school had one NASA suit available, but it was an adult size.  Me and my teacher were trying to figure out how to use ponytail holders to make it fit, but then one day I came home and my mom surprised me with a NASA suit that fit me perfectly!

I had a lot of fun posing and saying my speech. It was a really cool project and I didn't mess up on my speech at all. It was awesome!

0 comments: